Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Recycled vintage card "Priceless"

After making this card, I felt like I had contributed to the recycling effort...I started to design a swap card for my group to send out, but didn't want to make them and find out my design didn't work - on paper my sketch looked fine, but I know when I make it up, I end up making changes.  I had a kraft brown card that a catalog company had sent me, and it was the perfect size for a card, so I thought I would save it and reuse it.  It came in handy to try out my design using the new Stampin' Up distressing kit....I think I must have erased and redrawn my design about 10 times before the card was done and I was satisfied with it.
Here is a picture of the card and most of the supplies I used - they are all current Stampin' Up items, except for my recycled card:

I played with a lot of neat techniques on this card! Since I knew I wanted to use perfect plum, I used the Color Coach to see what other colors could be used with it - that is where the marina mist color came in....and the blueberry crisp designer paper.  And I also used a new In color - Concord crush (purple is my fav color, so the more, the better, right?!)  I used the tea stain color in the distressing kit on the very vanilla cardstock before I embossed it with the vintage wallpaper embossing folder. After I heat embossed the heart and word "priceless" with clear embossing powder and concord crush, I misted the crumbcake cardstock with water, crumpled it, unfolded it, and dried it with my heat embosser...then used the tea stain inkpad again on the wrinkles on the cardstock.  I used two ribbons (actually lace and narrow taffeta ribbon) across this, first the lace, then the ribbon. I tied the little ribbon first, then a piece of lace over it....And put a teeny tiny pearl on the heart and on the P in priceless.  Here is a scanned picture of the card so you can see the details better:

As I was cutting out another heart to cover the inside of the card, I thought 'how cute would that be to use dimensionals to pop the heart up over the heart on front?'  So that is what I will do when I make up the actual swaps for my group!  Here is what the inside of this recycled card looks like now:

I am so glad I tried my design out first with this card, and even happier that it turned out better than my sketches!
It should be fairly quick and easy to make 10 of these now, since I wrote down the measurements...I am going to mail this card to my mother and father - I can just imagine what their comments will be:  Mom - how clever to make a vintage card....Dad - you mean she made this card look old on purpose?  lol

The colors in the distressing kit are just right for that vintagey look!  I will post pictures of the perfect plum cards when I am done with them this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment