Sunday, January 20, 2013

By the tide/Stampin Up Spring Catalog- details for card swap



The new Stampin Up Spring mini-catalog  just came out and I was in a stamp set swap using the new stamps in it - I choose By the Tide because I wanted to do a brayered beach scene card.  I also used new natural trim ribbon that was in the mini-catalog and frayed the end of it.  Can you see how it looks like real water foam between the sand and water?  Here are the details on how I made this beachy card.

Stampin Up supplies needed, along with island indigo, soft suede, crumbcake, pool party, illuminate,  and pretty in pink inkpads, as well as black stazon ink and white stazon ink and watercolor paper, are:

You will need one other stamp set to make this card - it is Wonderful Wonderland - you will be using one of the stamps in it....!

Using indigo ink, first brayer the whisper white cardstock at an angle so it runs diagonally across the card; then turn the card so you can do the same thing on the other corner of the card using crumbcake ink and the brayer.

 To make the dark horizon line across the top of the card where the blue water is, put two long post-it-notes on your card as shown below:


Take the island indigo inkpad and swipe it down the little space between the two post-it-notes; you might need to do it a couple times to get it pretty well covered.
 

Your horizon line should look like this:


Make your seashell by stamping the shell with black stazon on the watercolor paper and color it in with a blender pen using pretty in pink and pool party ink.  I have lived on a beach and even have some seashells sitting on my bathroom counter, so I have examined seashells up close and thought the pink and pool colors made the shell look realistic :-)  And I think the watercoloring classes I have taken with Diana Gibbs (my upline) paid off on my shells!  I swiped Illuminate ink across the top of my seashells to give them just a little bit of satiny shine too.  I have to thank my sweet hubby for helping me lots with cutting out the seashells and all those little bumps - I even let him use my paper snips to make it easier, but it still was time-consuming....



Also stamp the Nantucket anchor with white Stazon on crumbcake cardstock, then cut out the seashell and anchor circle (if you have the coordinating circle punch, it will help!) 


 Use the shrub stamp from By the Tide to stamp crumbcake beachy shrubs a couple times in the bottom left corner that you brayered.


 Cut a 3 1/4" strip of the natural ribbon and fray the end a little by pulling on the threads.  Attach it to the card.  Then stamp the By the Tide greeting with white stazon on the dark horizon line - it won't completely fit on the dark blue but it gives the appearance of watery waves, don't you think?


Attach the seashell to your beach with pop-up dimensionals.  Use pop-up dimensionals to attach the Nantucket anchor circle towards the top of the ribbon too.


Now you're ready to use that other stamp set-Wonderful Wonderland and have some water fun with it.  Use the little stamp that looks like snow, and have something you can put water into and spritz/spray it.  I used the little misters that Stampin Up has.


 Spritz water onto the snow stamp and then immediately stamp it onto your card in the light blue area by the beach where the water waves would foam up.  You will need to spritz and stamp it several times to fill the whole area.




 On some of the cards I went back over and spritzed/stamped a second time to get bigger water marks.  It is really cool how unique the water stamping comes out each time and never the same.  You would never know that the water waves/foam were from a snow stamp!  Some people that received my swap cards said it looks like real water....and since it was real water used, I guess that's a good thing!  lol


Hope you have fun with your spritzing and water! 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial for creating your By the Tide card! This is my favorite set in the Spring Mini, and your creation is one of my favorites!! This post is going into my favorites folder for future CASE-ing!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete