Sunday, May 22, 2011

Red glimmer paper masculine sailboat card with sewing on card


Here is a masculine card I made this week using Stampin Up's new Sail Away stamp and the Nautical Expedition designer series paper, early expresso cardstock, and white pigment/craft inkpad, as well as the red glimmer paper which will be carried over to the new catalog later this summer. 

I was glad to find that out, since I like the sparkliness of it (is that a word?)  I had used it on a masculine vintage airplane card for my son earlier this year and posted it.  So thought I would try it again, and use the new baker's twine to "sew" the sailboat's lines. 


Here is a closeup of the boat's "lines" - I punched the holes for the lines
 first, then used a sewing needle with a large eye and the twine to thread it in and out of the holes - tied it at the top and cut it so the flat would have tassels.  I stamped a second sailboat and cut out just the bottom part which was popped up with dimensionals. 

The blender pen was used to smudge the lines of the sails, birds, and waves, and also to draw on movement lines to the right of the sailboat, to look as if it was moving fast....

This reminded me of those cards that we used to use when we were little - they had prepunched sewing holes on them and came with a plastic needle and colored yarn.  I bet some of you remember them....do they still have them now?  Maybe you can make your own with chipboard - ?
I added a little piece of striped grosgrain ribbon on the left side of the picture, to match the striped paper on the right side. 

Now after doing all this, and looking at the card again, and showing it to my husband (for the male point of view, since it was going to my nephew for his birthday card, who lives by the ocean on the east coast), I wondered if this card was too "busy??" 
What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Great masculine card. The way you used the glitter is perfect. Love the string on the sail boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab masculine card, love the added twine. Great use of the Bloggers Challenge Inspiration Photo, thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee-utiful sailboat card. Like the twine sewed on the sailboat & the red glimmer. Not too busy. Reminds me of my days when i grew up E coast FL & I crewed for a guy that had a sailboat which was hard work but hey if you get to go along you help out also.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://createdbysunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I see or is thjat sea this the more I LOVE it--bakers twine for the outline the sail--fantastic. What you did to the sail boat--FAB & the DSP behind it is great--yup, it's a real WOW for sure--I just had to have my own copy of it--it's now in my printer. TFS--very talented here--I'll be back for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok in case this did not go through the first time--it is a real WOW! Love what you did with it--had to have my own copy of it--in the printer NOW. You are very talented--I'll be back for more--soon!

    ReplyDelete